If you know someone who is out of status here in the United States and has been the victim of a crime, he or she may be eligible for a U Visa. U visas are available to foreign nationals or aliens who are in the United States and entered without inspection (“EWI”) or have overstayed an original visa grant.

U visas have even been considered and granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) based on the following scenarios.

  • A foreign national who was in a common law marriage, and has two U.S. children with her common law husband. Her husband is later killed. She is eligible for a U visa.
  • Likewise, a client while working for an employer is involved in a robbery and assists in finding the escaped criminal is yet another example of someone who qualifies.

Qualifying Criminal Activity for U visas are listed in 8 C.F.R. Sec. 214.14. U visas petitions require the filing of form I-918 and a certification by the respective police department, amongst other requirements. A U visa also entitles the individual to a workers’ permit, and the possibility of adjusting to a U.S. permanent resident. If an individual or alien is in removal proceedings they may obtain temporary or permanent relief through the grant of a U visa. U visas are complex and require representation by an experienced U.S. Immigration lawyer.

It is important to consult with an experienced U.S. Immigration Attorney who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers’ Association (AILA).

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm provides free initial screening consultations with our lawyers or you may request our standard consultation. Our contact information is conveniently available at

Members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) | ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm |

U.S. Immigration Lawyers Serving Families, Businesses & Individuals for Over 20 Years